Briefly About Character Letter
First of all, it is necessary to understand what a character letter means and pay attention to the key points of writing. The disclosure of the meaning of this concept lies in the name. This type of letter implies text about the character. In this case, the last one means the personal traits and skills of a certain individual. In short, the concept of character is synonymous with a person. Moreover, the task of a letter is to transmit certain information.
Before performing this task, you have to familiarize yourself with the data about this person, find out the story of his life and professional activity. You can also get information during a dialogue with him. Sometimes this process can take a lot of time. If you ignore this part of the work, there may be a risk of using false or incorrect information. Impressions and hypotheses can create a false picture and be the opposite of the real state of things.
So, a character letter means writing information about a particular person. This activity needs to have only relevant data, you should be aware of all the necessary details that relate to his life. At the same time, this letter can be identical to reference, since its task is to highlight specific traits of someone’s character. Meanwhile, do not confuse this type of writing with a long story about the professionalism and abilities of the individual.
Why Is It Necessary
People are faced with writing a character letter if it is necessary to describe professional or other features of a particular person. The reasons for this may be different. A detailed description of the individual may be required during a decision in court.
At the same time, a character letter may relate to the process of entering a university, obtaining citizenship or finding a job in a cooperative institution. Moreover, a person who wants to become a member of an organization may also be faced with the need to show a reference letter. Simply put, this kind of writing can be a part of many different areas.
The popularity of character letters is related to their relevance. Often the main goal is to reveal someone’s personality. However, the purpose of this writing depends on the scope that requires it.
There are situations when character reference is an attachment to the main recommendation. For instance, it can be a part of the list of necessary documents of the person who intends to get a job. If an individual doesn’t have an experience, he can write not a professional but a character letter.
The Process of Creating a Character Reference
As it’s mentioned above, there are a huge number of cases in which you need to provide a character letter. At the same time, there are many options for accomplishing this task. The information that is described in the text will mean the purpose of the reference. A common sign is the need to write in the form of a letter. Readers of this work may be representatives of various fields. For instance, if a letter is about a person, which committed a criminal offense, it will be read by a representative of the relevant law enforcement agencies. If a reference letter is submitted during applying for a job, it will be addressed to a member of a specific company.
As already mentioned before, the first step of writing a character letter is examining a person, which you will tell about. Only then can you get to work. If you need to get personal references, make sure that the author will be honest. His task is to describe your qualities positively. You should also find out the motives of the author and why writing a letter is necessary. If all related aspects suit you, agree to participate in this task. However, you should not be frivolous, as a character letter is a serious phenomenon that can affect many things.
Details that You Should Pay Attention to
If you are faced with the opportunity to write this letter, agree only if you are positive about the person and are able to describe in detail his personality and professional skills. In addition, there are several key recommendations that should be followed.
- First of all, mention your attitude to the person and provide information on the duration of your communication.
- In the main body, you need to highlight several basic qualities of this person and provide a detailed description of each of them. Remember that they should maximally embody their personality and skills. The best option would be to attach a specific example to each aspect, that is mentioned.
- The final part of the letter is indicating the person’s contacts. They also should be relevant and allow representatives of the organization to contact someone, who is applying for a job.
Make sure that your character letter doesn’t have and only after that send it.
Some Advice for Writing a Letter
In this part of the article, we will focus on the need for honest and positive colors of the text. If you are not sure that you can do this, it is better to refuse the offer. If you don’t want to explain your position, be concise and say that you are not sure about the successful result of the work process.
However, if you still undertook the task, pay attention to the following points:
- Search for the necessary information. Writing a character letter requires reliable and relevant facts about a person. In the beginning, you should clearly define the essence of this work and familiarize yourself with the deadlines. For instance, the need to write a reference letter may be associated with a specific vacancy or application, etc. The best option would be a conversation with a person during which you will be able to ask all questions. Do not forget to read his resume (if it exists) or other documents that contain information about professional experience and skills. This data will help you to write a great character letter.
- A concise statement is your best friend. Do not tell the whole life path and character of this person. Highlight a few qualities that you think are the most appropriate and use them to create an idea of someone’s professionalism.
- Contacts. Do not forget to mention ways to communicate with a person.
- Business letter requirements. Remember that this form of writing has its own rules and restrictions. You need to indicate the contacts of the applicant, put a date and complete the letter with a signature. However, this format is not suitable for the electronic version of the letter.
- Constantly check and edit written fragments. The absence of any errors is a prerequisite for the reference letter. You can also contact your close friends and ask for help with checking the work.
If You Need a Character Letter
Of course, at some point in life, you will need a reference letter. This form of writing is very serious and important. That is why ask for help only to those people in whom you are sure. They need to know all your strengths. For instance, friends or family members can help with this task. You can also contact familiar scientists. Even if for some reason they will refuse to write a letter, just ask for some useful tips.
The nature and purpose of your personal reference is also an important criterion when you try to find an author. If you are a member of a specific organization, ask the coordinator to write this text.
Some Other Tips
The most important stage is the choice of the person who will be engaged in this activity. The final result will depend on this.
- Discuss work points in advance. Writing a character letter is a long and complicated process. For this reason, you need to decide on the author as soon as possible and consult him on all necessary issues. You can add your curriculum vitae and other useful documents.
- Provide information about the positions in which you are interested. Thanks to this, the writer will be able to choose the most appropriate skills and character traits that demonstrate your professionalism.
- Remember about gratitude. After the workflow is completed and you receive a personal reference, do not forget to discuss the result and thank the author.
A good character letter has tremendous importance in many areas. Often it is a crucial detail. Of course, no one forbids you to become an author of writing your letter. Nevertheless, another neutral person’s help would still be the best option. If you are writing a letter for someone else, carefully think through the content and the moments on which you will focus. Professional experience and a wide range of skills are located in the foreground. However, information about the nature and personality of the applicant also has its own importance.