Successful Fantasy Novel – Step-by-Step Writing Guide
Fantasy novels are considered to be a part of today’s culture. They evoke certain emotions, incite the imagination and make people go on a journey they have always dreamt about. Fantasy stories are everywhere in popular culture. Such authors as George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb, and Joe Abercrombie tend to interpret, subvert, and stretch plots with an aim to attain distinct pinnacles.
Nevertheless, it is rather challenging and tricky to write a credible, distinct, and original fantasy novel. This is since you will have to create an original world by writing such a novel. It includes making people believe it, personifying ideas and things, and creating characters. So this process requires careful planning and consideration. Establishing an imaginary world, you will have to make the characters, draw them in, generate them in a way they captivate readers.
Despite the fact the fantasy novels are a kind of fiction, still, there are some rules to write them. There are several subgenres of the fantasy genre. High fantasy is the one, which is admired by the author the most. Meaning, the author should create a parallel world. Therefore, there are not only magical creatures, objects, and characters, creating an immersive story. Nevertheless, the reader’s expectations are subverted so they perceive the world being a totally different place.
Unleashing the boundaries of your imagination is a must when writing a fantasy novel. This is the main rule to become a component of fantasy literature. With the following tips and pieces of advice from the best writing service, you will be able to compose an immersive and engaging fantasy novel.
How to Write a Fantasy Novel?
Scrutinize the Useful Insights of the Fantasy Genre
It is common knowledge that when you want to be a good writer, you should read a lot. It is the first and foremost thing to do for every beginning writer. Check out the basic elements of every good fantasy novel:
- Study setting: Scrutinize how authors generate an immersive, imaginary, and complex world. Make a comparison of various fictional plot examples. For instance, tell the difference between Mordor’s desolate, smoking volcanic wasteland and peaceful village from “Lord of the Rings”.
- Scrutinize character building: Study how authors are developing the characters. Make an observation starting with their demeanor and finishing with peeves and quirks. Learn the way they manage to go through challenges and trials. Learn the manner they evolve.
- Make a comparison of the world’s logic: A good news is that the reader’s thinking is not bound in fantasy novels. There is some logic remaining even in imponderable events. There are several rules to follow in each fantasy world. Therefore, you would better study the logic of each fantasy world. Examine the way they are taking the story ahead and affect the life of the character.
Thinking beyond the boundaries of the real world is the first thing to do before writing a fantasy novel. You will have to examine the best fictional authors’ approach to it. Study how they solve the problems of a fantasy novel. Hence, you should read as much as possible to be able to produce a believable fictional world. If you want to be a top fantasy writer, reading fiction novels is a must for you. By doing this, you will be capable of creating the best fantasy outline.
Investigate Various Ideas
Exploration of creative ideas is one essential element needed for writing a good fantasy novel. The vast majority of top fantasy novels were only able to persuade readers since they had creative and unique ideas. When you choose fantasy genre writing, you will have to experience creative freedom and make out of the box’ ideas.
Over the past years, there were many fantasy novels, exploring the boundaries of reality and science fiction. The main idea was to cultivate something which will help the reader confront the exclusivity of the fantasy world and escape from reality. Therefore, “All the Birds in the Sky” is the precedence of the real-world, fictional science, and wittiness. The author Charlie Jane Anders cultivated a fresh idea, winning the hearts of the readers.
It was similar in the fantasy novel by Becky Chamber, which is called “A Closed and Common Orbit”. This novel has set a new theme, following 2 genetically modified protagonists. This novel presented the growth and journey of 2 characters in a perfect way.
Meaning, you should generate fun ideas for the setting in particular. You are able to get them out of anywhere. For instance:
- Watch a documentary on the Discovery Channel to get to know more about the lives of animals.
- Get inspired by observing unusual things and exploring unusual settings.
- Trigger your imagination by reading the top fantasy series. Make notes of the components and compare settings, making them feel real and unique. For instance, you may compare the protagonists and antagonists from Hogwarts and students in real life.
- Put your ideas down into your notebook. To have a broad and developed picture of the fantasy world, jot down minor details such as scenery, housing, and weather. Soon you will realize these things are compatible and seem realistic.
Make a Description of Your Imaginary World
It is a feature of a good author to make the readers view the world via their eyes. The presence of this quality differs from one author from another. So concentrate on the physical features of both characters and settings to make your story be more realistic.
Describe everything in detail, elaborating on the clear view of a fantasy world. Develop the ideas about such physical features as the universe, village, planet, town, and even a small hut. However, you should not be carried away with the details, describing scene-setting. Meaning, the reader should be able to imagine an environment where the action takes place. Here are the practical tips to take into consideration:
- Start describing and observing the real objects. Utilizing a descriptive language, make a description of everything in detail. Putting the thoughts on a piece of paper, use all the senses to reflect. Answer the questions like how it looks, feels, and smells.
- Use a similar method when describing the fantasy world. Make a description of plants, their colors, appearance, and smell. Incorporate the details about lingering noises, environment, and weather. Depending on the place where the character lives, make a contrast in landscape and atmosphere. It will stimulate your reader’s imagination and perception.
- Make a description of the appearance of the character, like the things which make them stand out in a crowd, complexion, height, weight, and other ones. So that the reader will be able to create an image of the character in their mind.
Mapping out of Your Story
One of the possible ways to make the understanding of the reader clearer is to draw a map with a story. To incline the readers artistically, many popular authors practice it. You are welcome to draw it if you believe it will help the reader perceive your fantasy novel complex set.
What is more, it is important to highlight rivers, streams, oceans, and landmarks. Besides, creating symbols to indicate towns and cities is another option.
Setting the Time Frame
This is one more important part of the fantasy novel. There must be a particular time frame. The setting and characters of your story are depending on the time frame. If you set in in the future, the story will revolve around technological advances. Nevertheless, when the historical era is depicted, the time frame will be representing the primitive society. Therefore, it is necessary to take the time frame into consideration, when you establish your story’s setting.
- Investigate the time frame’s ideas and the way the author incorporates it in the theme of the story. It will be a must to do research into the technological improvements when the fantasy novel is futuristic. Forecast the changes in the settings and characters.
- When the story features the ancient world time frame, you should find sufficient data about past traditions and cultures. Adding the details which will be portraying the time frame in the plot is important to make the story realistic. For instance, it may be the character’s appearance, norms, cultures, or traveling.
Making Social Conventions
The social classes are an important part of our culture and society. People have various lifestyles and are divided into several social classes. When making the fictional story realistic, you would better decide on some customs and rituals.
- You may include the real world’s aspects of social conventions. For instance, you might think of how the characters of your story mark death. Do they celebrate their birthdays, weddings, and festivals? Elaborate such ideas in order for your reader to relate to them.
- Do research on some particular cultures to get some ideas and inspiration for new social conventions. For instance, you may borrow the ideas of how to make some rituals in a particular country.
Supernatural Components of a Fantasy Story
Most fantasy stories feature supernatural components in the theme. So reading a novel, the reader will expect something which goes beyond reality. Moreover, they will believe and accept it. Additionally, you can incorporate supernatural components into your fantasy novel in a number of ways.
For example, you may make wizards be protagonists of your novel or make the spirits communicate with humans. However, when doing it, it is necessary to establish a set of rules for the supernatural elements to work effectively in the story.
- First of all, make a decision on their origin. What magical or natural powers do they have?
- Make up your mind regarding the way the character impacts your story. Decide how it differs from other characters.
- Make a decision on what weapons and imaginary things do your characters have. How do they operate? Make sure you created a unique weapon for your character. Elaborate the ways he or she can use it.
Selecting the Theme of Your Story
A good theme should go through the entire plot of your story. It shapes the beliefs and thoughts of the character. Therefore, make up your mind on the type of information you want to deliver to your reader. Would you like to depict the bond of romance between two people? Would you like to show the battle between evil and good?
Setting the Rules for Your Story
By making the rules for your imaginary world, you are able to make the plot strong and consistent. The rules shouldn’t change until the end of the story. Otherwise, the reader will get frustrated and lose interest. For instance, when your main character talks to the birds and understands their replies, he or she must be able to do it, no matter which circumstances are throughout the entire story.
Creating Mythical Creatures
Non-human creatures are to be present in every fantasy novel. For example, you may personify things. Also, you may create a mythical creature to make the novel feel alive and real.
- You may use such mythical creatures as vampires, aliens, or mermaids. Establish a set of rules they should follow. For instance, if it is a vampire, he should be afraid of the sunlight.
- Brainstorm the ideas and generate your own fruit of your imagination. It may be a unique creature who features its characteristics, traits, and features.
Definition of Protagonists of the Novel
You must incorporate these 3 main protagonists into your stories such as mentor, villain, and hero. Each one of them features some qualities, defining them. The role each character contributes to the story is important so make sure you plot them correctly. Make up your mind about the way the main conflict of the story will be resolved.
Outlining the Fantasy Novel
Everything should be outlined in a sequence. When you make an outline, you will be able to analyze the turns and twist of the events. You may organize the structure of your novel in a pyramid. Place the events in such phases as beginning, body, and climax. Show the conflicts, turning points, actions, and resolution.
The last but not least phase of writing a good novel is editing and proofreading it. Before publishing, you may ask a professional editor to help you. Hope that these pieces of advice will help you imagine the most unique story ever.