How to Write a Precis Flawlessly
Numerous academic assignments can be quite a big challenge for students who prefer avoiding too complex tasks. Often, students who have no interest in dedicated learning and personal skills’ constant improvement, face many problems once dealing with academic assignments. Still, no matter what reason is, every student needs to submit his academic papers on time. Writing a precis is probably one of the most difficult tasks for students. This academic assignment requires a proper structure and planning thus make sure to discover all the tips and guides on how to perform a precis mentioned in this article.
The Definition of a Precis
When dealing with a precis, it is great to know in advance what the kind of task you are dealing with and how to write it properly. In fact, a precis is a short summary. If translating the word “precis” from French, it will be “cut brief”. The precis is an outline of a published work, like dissertation or article. The student needs to provide a summary of the read text but without paraphrasing it. This task requires summing up ideas of the checked literature work and making some conclusions. Be aware, a precis is an important and separate work, thus it never remains a simple paraphrasing. Besides, a precis does not require mentioning all the details presented in an analyzed literature work.
You need to sum up the main ideas and discover the structure of a checked article or dissertation. Remember, that a precis needs an objective view, thus there is no need to provide your personal opinion. This academic task requires essential points, clear structure, and precise revealing of the main ideas presented in work. You can find many precis samples online, and complete your task flawlessly. Make sure to check the main tips of critical precis presented below. Remember to summarize the main ideas presented in the analyzed paper and never try to provide your personal opinion.
How to Start Performing a Precis
Writing a precis is quite a complex process, which requires an ability to think critically, distinguish the main ideas from the entire content, and to provide an objective point of view.
Here are some tips you can use for your precis performing:
- Read the analyzed article carefully and list the main ideas.
- Try to figure out what the author wanted to tell in his work.
- Check the evidence provided by the author.
- Restate the thesis provided by the author in your own words. Your opinions must be on-point and precise.
- Write a few sentences for each section. A precis is a short summary, thus it should not be too long.
- Re-read the article and make sure it is in accord with your summary.
- Check whether you have covered the main ideas. Make sure you use a logical structure.
- Check the accuracy of the written text. Check it for a few times to submit a flawless precis.
Make sure to provide in your paper an analysis of the author’s tone and the way he used to communicate with the audience.
The Main Features of a Good Precis
A precis is quite a difficult work, but it can be performed perfectly if you know the main features of a good precis:
- Clear and precise text.
- No paraphrased sentences, but only own words used.
- Logical order of the provided text.
- Great title of the paper.
- Lack of any irrelevant details.
- Lack of any outside information.
How to Write a Rhetorical Precis
Rhetorical precis is a greatly structured piece of writing, which requires summing up the main ideas. It should be a brief summary, with the outlined main ideas and points.
Make sure to check a needed format and stick to your writing plan. Follow the next useful tips and guides:
- Mention the name of the author, the title of the article, and the date of publishing.
- Explain the way the author proves the main arguments of the paper.
- State the main purpose of the author’s work.
- Reveal the way the author tries to communicate with the audience.
When writing a precis, try to put all the ideas together, and catch the readers’ attention. Make a precis short and precise. Use your own words and an objective point of view.
When writing a good precis, the student needs to provide a summary of the read text, article or dissertation, but without paraphrasing it. This complex academic task requires summing up ideas of the checked literature work and making some conclusions. A precis is an important and separate work, thus it never remains a simple paraphrasing. Besides, a precis does not require mentioning all the details presented in an analyzed literature work. You need to sum up the main ideas and discover the structure of a checked article or dissertation. Remember, that you must provide only an objective view, thus there is no need to tell your personal opinion. This task requires essential points, clear structure, and precise revealing of the main ideas presented in work.